There was no good result that could come from this game.
Barring Coach Wilson getting ejected from his own locker room a’la Varsity Blues, there were only three possible results that could come from the game today.
1. We won easy
2. We won ugly
3. We lost
Listening to some of the postgame radio show, it seems that most people felt that while we had some work to do, it was a good day, and a win is a win. I couldn’t disagree more. SCS fumbled on one of their best drives in the 2nd quarter and had a block in the back penalty that cost them a punt return TD. That is 10, maybe 14 points that they could have added to their score.
We looked like a team that hadn’t practiced much this week, and didn’t improve from our play last week. Given the quality of SCS, I was not impressed with this win, and I come away with real concerns about our ability to compete for the rest of the season.
A few other random thoughts:
- The Darius Willis Memorial Trophy today goes to – D’Angelo Roberts (This award will be given every week to the best rusher, who once again makes us forget our injured lead RB from last year)
- Ed Wright-Baker still can not throw the deep ball with any touch at all. The few deep passes that were completed were all due to the receivers doing a great job of getting the jump balls that EWB was throwing up there. But seeing a few snaps of Dusty Kiel made us all remember that no matter how bad EWB is this year, he is our best option. So while he might frustrate you this season with missing or over-throwing open receivers, just remember, he is the BEST we have to put out there.
- Pentalies, ugh! I believe the number was 19 for 145 yards, or somewhere in that neighborhood. Easy reaction is that it is not good and shows bad coaching. But we had many of the same penalty problems the last few years, which spans multiple coaching staffs. So maybe the coaches and their coaching isn’t the problem. Maybe it is the caliber of football athlete that we get at IU. The only constant has been the caliber of player we have, so maybe it’s not always the coaching staff’s fault.
- Big props to the South Carolina State Marching 101 Band that performed at halftime. Did a great job, and did they ever bring a huge crew. (When their “Champaign Dancers” started going, I did mention to a friend, “Those sure aren’t the Red Steppers!”) Sure IU Athletics was thrilled, as I have no doubt they made each member of the 101 buy a full price game day ticket.
- Anyone at the game, notice all the birds circling the South endzone during the 2nd & 3rd quarters. Hope they weren’t vultures smelling the end of our season and waiting to come down and pick us clean.