All morning I was thinking about what I was going to say in this column today. There are only so many ways that I can continue to review games where we get slaughtered. That is what I expected to happen today in Columbus today. Yet, a funny thing happened to me on the way to my WordPress account. The IU Football team actually hung with The Ohio State Buckeyes for 50 minutes. And now I can do something here that I haven’t done in quite some time, talk about things we should have done to win the game.
For those of you have have been following IU Football for a few years, this will not come as a surprise, but we lost this game because we made a few to many mistakes at key moments in the game. Dropping a pass that might have given us a 1st and goal, only to be followed by a false start and a missed FG. Quick Ohio State TD and an INT, and game over. Easy to say that if we fix those few mistakes and we walk out of Columbus with a win. It is easy to say, since it has been what we have been saying about IUFB for 20-30 years.
We also made the mistake of leaving points on the board. You can’t go into Columbus, get into the red zone twice and leave with only 6 total points.
Days like today are why it is fun to be an IU Football fan. We were all expecting to get throttled, and we were all surprised that they were making it a game. Even though we lost, most fans are happy today with the team. Unlike IUBB, we can still have moral victories with IUFB and feel good with it. It is sometimes nice to not have a lot of expectations. If/when we ever make a B1G title game, it will mean so much more to us than an Ohio State fan, because they were supposed to get there.
A few other random thoughts:
- This game reminds me a bit of the close loss at Michigan 2 years ago. That was a bit of a shock for most, and signaled in an era of 2 years of close games in the B1G. Maybe today was a similar turnaround, and we will play more close games, and hopefully get over the hump and start winning some of those games
- Damn, we really know how to start a game off! Maybe Coach Wilson should talk to the IUBB team at halftime, since theyalways struggle to start the 2nd half. Maybe we should also hit Wilson with the Men in Black memory stick at Halftime, so he gives the pre-game speech instead of the halftime speech.
- Tre Roberson is quick and getting better as a passer every week. I really think he could be special and fun to watch. As I mentioned on Twitter, really makes you wonder why EWB or Dusty Kiel ever started ahead of him. With Gunner de-committing, I doubt Dusty will ever see the field again, and that is a good thing
- Our defense played as well as could be expected, yet they continue to give up huge plays every few series. Don’t think that will be fixed this year, but would love to see it fixed sometime, as it has been happening for years at IU.
- As crazy as this sounds for a loss, this program really needed this. If we can play MSU tough, I think we have a shot against Purdue. With so many young guys, it would be really nice for them to get a win to end off this year and show that all the hard work is paying off
- Belcher who?
Current Record – 1-9 (0-6)
TJH Projected Final Record – 1-11 (0-8)
I am now leaning toward us beating Purdue. But I need to see if we keep this momentum into the MSU game, I might just be predicting a win against Purdue!
Enough from me. What are your thoughts?