Welcome back to another season of IU basketball. After the Buzzer is back for this year, so be sure to check it out after every game. The first game is in the books, an easy 97-54 win against an outmatched Bryant squad.
My first reaction after last night’s game; Yogi Ferrell can provide so much for this team. He can create his own shot, get into the lane, and provide great defensive pressure. He looked extremely confident for his first collegiate game. I thought Jordan Hulls and Yogi actually played really well together defensively.
Christian Watford was a beast on the boards tonight. It was weird seeing him wear #32 but if he can put up 15 points and 15 boards every night, I say keep it and make Derek Elston switch.
The Hoosiers are going to need Jeremy Hollowell to play some big minutes early, especially with the suspensions of Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin.
Some things I didn’t like. There were a few defensive breakdowns, especially when the bench players came in. IU gave up some easy offensive rebounds which will always hurt. The transition defense could have been better. Some little things I noticed:
- When Cody Zeller gets double-teamed in the post, basket cuts can be deadly. If you are open, Cody will find you 99% of the time.
- Communication on defense slipped a few times. That left a couple wide open shots for Bryant that they just didn’t knock down, because they are Bryant.
- I still don’t really know what the strategy is when defending ball screens. Whatever it is, it could use some fine-tuning.
Some things I really liked:
- I love how this team doesn’t care who scores. Expect a lot of games with very balanced scoring, like tonight’s.
- I thought the bench played really well tonight. Everybody has a role on this team and I think it’s clear the players have bought into that.
- Maurice Creek can be a weapon once he catches up to the speed of the game. He has been a pleasant surprise so far.
Also, congrats to Coach Crean for his well-deserving contract extension through the 2020 season.
Team Grade: A
On to the next one:
Looking Forward- The Hoosiers get right back into action against North Dakota State (1-0) at home on Monday. The Bison will be much stiffer competition than Bryant. They will be coming off a 93-47 season opening win over Valley City State, a decent NAIA team.
Thanks for reading.