Amazing how we continue to find new and inventive ways to lose games, year after year!
During the game, I was pissed because I knew that this team was going to suck me into thinking that they could win, only to kick me in the balls in the end.
After the game, I was annoyed for a variety of reasons. (I will discuss those below)
But having a drive home to Indianapolis to cool off, I am actually pretty happy and optimistic after this game. Looking back, last year we were the worst kind of team to root for, a veteren team that was underperforming. That is horrible, because you aren’t building toward anything with a veteren team, so you better be good. At least with this year’s team, we are young, so even though the losses will pile up, we can think about how we are building toward a brighter future. I am normally very envious of young & talented teams, because I know if they are playing tough as Freshman they will be tough in coming years. Now if we really have the talent to go along with our youth, is a debate for another post.
Hopefully that can help you sleep at night during what might be a long B1G season. Onto a few other things thoughts, some of which were the annoyances I mentioned after the game:
- DeMarlo Belcher. Need I say more? And I admit to being a fan of DeMarlo and even have an 88 jersey that I wear to games. But after his first drop, a friend sitting next to me brought up the fact that maybe we have to come to grips with the fact that as a featured WR, he might not be that good. Last two years, he had Turner and Doss to pull the defensive attention away from him. That was right before 2 more drops. Not a good game and/or year for DeMarlo.
- Why can’t Wilson have an consistency at RB? Perez plays good a few weeks back, and only gets 2-3 looks today. Nothing against Houston, but he didn’t play much the last few weeks. Why not just pick one guy and go with him?
- For those who are happy that we played Penn State close, they are still living in 1986. The Penn State team I saw out there might be one of the worst teams in the B1G this year. Watching Rob Bolden & Dusty Kiel both play QB series after series was horrific. It was like watching someone play Madden who didn’t know you could just tap the button to throw with some finesse. If it wasn’t for IU or Minnesota, Penn State might be the bottom of the B1G
- So far this season we have had 3 different helmet schemes – Red, White & Red/Pink. Have we ever had more than 2 different helmets in a season?
- This brings about a GREAT trivia question in 15 years. What color helmets did IU have when they played their first Legends B1G game – White & Pink!
- You can see from the picture above, someone forgot to give the students the memo that we were starting B1G play this week at Noon at Memorial Stadium!
- And from the picture on the right, you can see that our favorite #HelmetSticker banner made another appearance! Somewhere deep in the NEZ, @FakeCoachWilson is smiling while eating his Rotel.
- Yes our defense played much better, but we did give up almost 500 yards to Penn State. And many of our stops were when they missed wide open receivers, or tripped on their own feet.
- Speaking of defense, how many third downs did we let Penn State convert? I believe the final stat was 10-20 but it sure felt like 99-100.
- Finally, if you are a fan of Dusty Kiel, skip the next few lines. His passing over 10-15 yards was horrific. A few of his long passes looked like a punt when it was in the air. And for him not to be able to at LEAST get the ball into the end zone on the last play, is criminal.
Finally, new feature here on That Just Happened (TJH). Given what I have seen and our current record, I will predict our final record for the season, given my feelings right now.
Current Record – 1-4 (0-1)
TJH Projected Final Record – 3-9 (2-6)
Enough from me. What are your thoughts?